This has been on my list of things to make for about oh, I don’t know…forever! Nut milk is so easy, in theory, but so is driving to the store and buying a carton of it already made. Recently, however, I read that if you have a high-powered blender you actually don’t need to strain cashew milk (unlike almond milk) after blending it which helps it retain its fiber and nutrients and waste less. Yup, that pretty much sealed the deal with one less messy step. This turns out super creamy and is a home run in your smoothie and takes nearly no ingredients. Go make this!
Creamy Cashew Milk
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- couple pinches of sea salt
- dash of cinnamon
- optional: 1-2 tablespoons of honey or pure maple syrup
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Drain the cashews and rinse well. Add cashews and two cups of water to a blender. Blend until totally pulverized. This took about 2 minutes in my high-speed blender but could take longer in a regular blender.
- Blend in 2 more cups of water, vanilla extract, sea salt, cinnamon and any sweetener if you are using it. Store the milk in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.