I love you so much that I just ate three of these to make sure they were postable (is that even a word?) and worth the write up. I always see recipes for bites and balls that have oats in them and I really wanted to try and find something that didn’t have any grains but still held together well and tasted GOOD. I think I’ve found it. These are grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free so whether you are vegan, paleo or just like eating clean, these will fit the bill. All you need is a food processor and a few whole ingredients and you are good to go! Loaded with dates, walnuts, cacao, almond and coconut butter and hemp seeds, these little guys pack in a nutritional punch. You’ve got protein, omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, iron, magnesium, zinc…need I go on? Oh, and they have that truffle-like texture. Yup, pure awesome in a bite, or two, or three…
Dark Chocolate Energy Bites
- 1 cup packed and pitted medjool dates
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp creamy almond butter (or any other nut or seed butter)
- 1 Tbsp coconut butter (if you don’t have this, add an extra Tbsp of nut butter)
- 1/2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Add dates to a food processor and mix/pulse until small bites or a ball forms. Remove from food processor and set aside.
- Add walnuts to the food processor and mix/pulse into a fine meal. Add cacao powder, hemp seeds and sea salt and mix/pulse until combined (not too long or you’ll have walnut butter!)
- Add dates back in as well as almond butter, coconut butter and melted coconut oil. Mix/pulse to combine until you have a dough-like texture.
- Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes. Then scoop out about a tablespoon at a time and form into balls.
- Roll in extra hemp seeds, cacao powder, or, my favorite, shredded coconut.
- Store in a well-sealed container in the freezer for up to a month. I guarantee they won’t last that long though. You can also keep them in the fridge but straight from the freezer is the tastiest in my opinion.