Yup, it’s another treat recipe but I truly believe there is room for everything in a good diet. I don’t like to label foods as “good” or “bad”…well, unless it’s packaged food that has a laundry list of ingredients that you can’t pronounce or has more than a handful of ingredients. Free yourself from the mindset that in order to eat clean and be healthy you have to completely eliminate all the fun You can have your cake and eat it too but the key is moderation! We work on this in my monthly challenge groups and it has truly been life-changing for so many to realize that to be healthy you don’t have to deprive yourself.
When it comes to my kids and treats I am firmly in the camp that if you eat a healthy dinner, you are allowed dessert. I believe that teaching your children “everything in moderation” is a good habit for a lifetime of success and healthy habits. When I make treats I make every effort to make them cleaner versions than what they would find at a store or typical bakery. I nix the processed sugar, I add in fruits and veggies were possible and the kids are completely unfazed by the cleaned up versions they get at my dinner table. These cookies from the Ambitious Kitchen are a gluten free, grain free, chewy and chocolatey delight that are kid-tested and mother-approved. 10-minutes, 1-bowl and happy eaters – it’s a winner!
Paleo Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, add beaten egg, melted and cooled coconut oil, and vanilla extract. (Please make sure your coconut oil is cool or else it will solidify!) Next add in almond flour, coconut flour and baking soda, mixing well to combine and form a dough. Fold in dark chocolate chunks. You may need to use your hands to moisten the dough so that it sticks together well.
- Use a cookie scoop or large tablespoon to drop dough onto ungreased baking sheet. Gently flatten the dough with your hand. Bake for 10-2 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden brown. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and allow to cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finishing cooling. Makes 12 cookies.