If it’s not clear, I’m on a rampage this week getting organized for school and the daily grind. Packing lunches every day can be stressful and time-consuming and anything I can do to prevent the addition of either of those, is well worth it! Sadly my kids are not sandwich eaters so I have to get a bit more creative than slapping some mustard, mayo and deli meat across a slice of bread, but muffins have been an easy go-to for me. Muffins can be sugar-laden traps if you aren’t careful so I make sure that what my kids get is clean and will fuel them for the day. This muffin recipe WILL NOT disappoint!
I discovered this recipe on the new Beachbody on Demand show FixAte. FixAte has videos for all the recipes as well as grocery lists and container counts for those who follow the 21 Day Fix meal plan (which basically means everything in moderation and honing in on the proper macros each day). If I were to change anything with this recipe it might be to add LESS maple syrup since these were pretty sweet!
FIXATE Vegan Orange Cherry Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose, gluten-free flour, sifted
1/2 cup almond flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup extra virgin organic coconut oil
2 Tbsp all-natural peanut butter
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp orange zest
3/4 cup fresh orange juice (approx. juice from 1-2 medium oranges)
2 tsp ground flaxseed
1 cup thickly sliced banana, very ripe (approx. 1 large banana)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 chopped cherries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spray 12 cup muffin tin with coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Combine flour, almond flour, baking powder, walnuts, and salt in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Place oil, peanut butter, maple syrup, orange peel, orange juice, ground flaxseed, banana, and extract in blender; cover. Blend until smooth; approx. 30 seconds.
- Add peanut butter mixture to flour mixture; mix until just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Add cherries; fold until just mixed.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. (One-quarter cup batter should fill each cup about three-quarters full.)
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing muffins from pan and cooling completely on a rack.
Fix Container Equivalents:
1 muffin = 1/2 purple, 1 yellow, 1/2 blue, 1 1/2 spoons