As I got into bed last night, on the eve of finishing up my 3 day detox, I began dreaming of this recipe from Against All Grain. After a totally vegan diet for the last three days all I could think about was MEAT! Delicious, organic, grass-fed beef to be exact. As soon as I dropped kiddo #1 off at school this morning, kiddo #2 and I zipped to the store to pick up the necessary recipe ingredients and it was in the crockpot and cooking away before the second one was delivered to nursery school. Dinner was DONE by 9am. You can’t beat THAT! This should last you for at least a couple meals so kick-back, relax and put your feet up because you are officially off dinner duty!
- 3 pound center cut shoulder roast
- 3 to 5 large dried chipotle peppers, seeds removed
- ½ yellow onion
- juice from 2-3 limes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ cup low-sodium beef or chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves (I accidentally used ground, it was fine)
- Cut the roast into two pieces, trimming any fat and place in the pot of a slow cooker.
- Combine the chipotle peppers, onion, lime juice, tomato paste, garlic, vinegar, cumin, salt, and oregano in a food processor or high-speed blender and process until smooth.
- Pour over the roast and add the stock, bay leaves, and cloves.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Shred beef in the pot with two forks and continue cooking for 1 to 2 hours, until really tender.
- Serve with your choice of toppings. We are big fans of serving this over romaine lettuce to make a taco salad. Add avocado, cilantro, pickled onions (see recipe below) and salsa.
Pickled Onion Recipe
Slice one red onion into thin half moons and put in a jar with a lid ( a Bell jar is great for this)
Cover with red wine vinegar
Refrigerate for 12-24 hours