When I got a barrage of messages this morning telling me that my kids were being dismissed early from school because of bad weather, I wondered if I caught the news for a different part of the country. Usually you have an inkling when the weather looks bad and this might happen but when I saw rain in the forecast this morning, this was not even on my radar. So long afternoon plans, hello baking project! When cooking with kids I try to keep it simple with few ingredients and minimal dishes…that way I can spend my time cleaning up the ingredients that never made it into the bowl or measuring cups. These Flourless Pumpkin Bars from the Ambitious Kitchen looked like a perfect afternoon sweet treat that wasn’t filled with junk. Try them out on your kids! They are gluten-free, dairy-free and have no refined sugar. All good things!
Pumpkin Almond Butter Bars with Coconut and Dark Chocolate
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt (only if using unsalted almond butter)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, divided
- 3 oz dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except coconut and chocolate. Once ingredients are well combined, fold in 1/4 cup of the coconut flakes and all of the chocolate.
- Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle the rest of the coconut flakes on top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown on the edges.
- Place pan on wire rack to cool. Once cool, cut into 16 squares.