Me and hot weather, they just don’t mix. I may be in the minority here but I’ll take a good snow storm over a heat wave any day. At least with the cold you can get warm but when it’s hot, you just can’t cool down! Well, unless you have a refreshing cocktail to ease the pain a bit. Last week it was in the 90’s…and it’s mid-May!! I mean, I can’t. I just can’t. All day long I was dreaming of a watermelon cocktail so as soon as the kid’s were off the bus I dragged them to the grocery store for one thing and one thing only — a giant watermelon. This drink is refreshing, hydrating and quite simply, happiness in a glass. Do yourself a favor and put this on your Memorial Day weekend menu – you won’t be sorry!
Vodka & Watermelon Cooler
Makes 1 cocktail
- Watermelon, rind & seeds discarded and flesh cut into pieces
- 1 shot of vodka
- 1/2 shot of triple sec
- Juice from 1/2-1 lime
- Optional: lime wheel or watermelon slice for garnish. Mint might be good here too!
- In a blender puree the watermelon pieces. Strain the puree through a fine sieve set over a pitcher, discarding the solids.
- In a glass add ice, vodka, triple sec and lime juice.
- Pour in watermelon juice
* Save any leftover watermelon juice for future cocktails or pour a glass for the kids (sans alcohol, obvi).